The Music Department


The Music Department

The first musical prints and scores started to be collected in 1875. The reading room for musical holdings was organized at the beginning of the 20th century.
The collection numbering about 55,000 pieces has a great documentary value, including fundamental works of classical music, symphonic compositions, operas and operettas, impressive folklore collections, reflecting, in the overall, the different trends and directions of the Romanian musical school, musical education and criticism. The works of Romanian composers, such as: T. Băjenaru, G. Brătianu, A. Castaldi, E. Caudella, G. Muzicescu, L. Wiest, George Enescu are part of the collection, together with the works of valuable foreign composers like: Beethoven, Berlioz, Chopin, Edvard Grieg, Handel, Liszt, Puccini, Rossini, Richard Strauss, Verdi, and so on.
A special place in the collection is dedicated to the religious music manuscripts, little studied until now. The music department is endowed with a very rich collection of recorded music, printed scores and records of Romanian personalities’ voices, such as historian Nicolae Iorga, the poets Octavian Goga and Tudor Arghezi or the writer Mihail Sadoveanu.


  Calea Victoriei 125, Sector 1, Bucharest, tel +4021.212.82.84, +4021.212.82.85, fax +4021.212.58.56